We at Kumarans believe that school is a place for teaching and learning, where students feel safe, secure and supported. To provide this supportive learning environment, school communities must foster respect among all members of the same. Our school code of conduct is based on the belief that there are values that are fundamental to the well-being of both the individual and the society and that we are all responsible for the choices we make. It encourages students to recognize and respect diversity and individual differences. In the process, we want students to develop self-discipline, which can be considered as the core of any person's activity.
Good discipline and conduct are the keys to student success. It begins at home and is reinforced in the school and community. It is a developing process that ultimately results in self - discipline and growth of individuals into independent problem solvers who understand the life long process of learning.
The following points are to be read and understood by each student and their parents in the interest of the children.
When you are disciplined :
- Your parents feel proud of you.
- Your school is proud of you.
- A disciplined child grows into a disciplined adult.
- Your contribution to the world is more significant.
- To develop self - discipline.
- To attend classes regularly and punctually.
- To respect the rights of all others.
- To be prepared to work and take an active part in all school programs, including homework.
- To be aware of the rules and expectations of the school.
- To be active supporters of the school in its endeavour to enhance the educational and social growth of their children.
- To initiate communication with the school related to matters that will assist in the education of their children.
Code Of Conduct
We expect our students to maintain and encourage high standards of personal conduct that includes honesty, discipline, integrity, respect and consideration, ethics and values. The code of conduct needs to be observed at all time and especially
- While students go to or from class / school.
- While using school property at any time.
- At all school sponsored or approved events or activities.
- On a school bus for any purpose.
Students need to be very careful of their belongings and must not bring any valuables to school. The school is not responsible for the loss of books, money and lunch boxes lost in the premises.
Students are expected to move in a single line while going to the lab, art room, school field or any other activity in the school. Students need to speak softly and they need to speak only in English while in school.
Dress Code / Uniforms
Students must be dressed in school uniform whenever they are required to make use of the school premises. Students need to be in complete school uniform when
- They represent the school in any inter-school event even if it is conducted during holidays.
- They accompany their parent to parents - teacher meetings.
- They come to school for any reason even if it is during their study holidays.
- Students have to wear the standardized uniform of the school.
- Students should wear clean and well ironed dress including tie, belt and socks along with polished shoes every day. It is very important that the ties / socks are washed regularly.
Girl Students Should
- Wear only small studs or small earrings.
- If long hair, wear two plaits.
- If shoulder length hair, wear pony tail with black band or ribbons on all days of the week.
Girl Students are Not Permitted To
- Have streaked hair, fancy hairstyles, leave shoulder length or long hair untied.
- Have eye make up or any kind of make-up during school hours.
- Wear gold earring, bangles, chains, colourful and fancy jewellery, long or hanging earrings.
- Adorn their hair with flowers or colourful clips.
- Paint nails or apply mehendi.
Boys Students are Not Permitted To
- Wear caps and headgear in the school
- Have streaked hair, long hair, long side burns or fancy hair style
- Wear bracelets / Chains / ear studs / friendship bands etc.
Entering and leaving the Campus
Students are expected to reach school on time and be punctual to attend the assembly.
Those who are making their own transport arrangements should note this point and plan to reach the campus on time accordingly.
The time of leaving the premises depends on the extra activities carried out by each student. Parents should get prior information from the children about these activities so as to avoid any concern or anxiety regarding their delayed return from school.
Prior appointment should be obtained from the office, for parents to visit for meetings other than for planned ones such as Parent-Teachers meeting.
If a student reaches school after the assembly bell the concerned teacher will record his or her late entry in the school dairy. If he/she is late to school more than twice a month, he/she will be reported to the Principal or Head Mistress who will in turn contact the parents regarding the same.
Students should not leave school early unless there is a very important reason. If one needs to leave early the parent should send a note to the teacher in the dairy explaining why he/she needs to leave early and what time one needs to leave. When parents arrive to pick up the student, they should obtain the permission slip from the Head Mistress. Parent should make every effort to schedule doctor and dentist appointment after the school hours.
Leave of Absence From School
- School will surely not permit children going on vacation during working days. Parents need to plan their vacation only during school breaks and vacation and not otherwise.
- Attending marriage and other social function while the school is in session needs to be kept to the minimum and prior permission should be sought to avail leave.
- In the event of an emergency to pick up the chid during school hours, only parents are permitted to do so.
- If a child is sick and has not attended school, the leave record in the diary should be filled and should have the parent's signature when he or she returns to school.
- If a child has a medical condition and has not reported to school for more than 4 days, the leave letter should be accompanied by a medical certificate.
The child needs to attend all activities organized by the school like Literary Fest, Independence Day Celebration, Sports Day or any other activity. The school will penalize defaulters and parents may kindly note this.
- The staff and students of the school are happy to offer their best wishes on a student's birthday. However, because learning time at school is very important, no birthday parties will be allowed in school. No birthday parties of teachers may be held during the school hours either. It is very important that no gifts are distributed. Moreover, no expensive chocolates like chocolate bars should be offered either to students or teachers.
- Students will be permitted to use the public telephone to contact their parents in times of emergency after informing the class teacher.
- Students are not allowed to carry cell phones to school and the same will be confiscated by the school if they are found in the student's possession.
Policy Against Violence:
We stress with the students the importance of keeping their hands and feet to themselves. Pushing, swearing, shoving, biting, hitting and kicking etc. are unacceptable, even if done in fun. Physical assault will be dealt with severely, by suspension. It is very important that parents discuss this policy with their child(ren) The school needs parental support in this endeavour.
- loud talking.
- using abusive and inappropriate language.
- eating in the library
- running or playing in the classrooms or in the corridors.
- damaging school property
- borrowing items.
- missing classes
- junk food
- wasting food
- wasting time
In the Assembly
- Students must move from gate in a single line, keep the bag in class, and join the assembly in time. They must maintain silence. They need to stand and move in a single line, as per class and section.
- Be silent and sincere during the prayer and national anthem.
- Close your eyes. Pray and sing the songs aloud as a team.
- Listen carefully, to all announcements and act accordingly.
- During specific announcements. be attentive and sincere in expressing your appreciation for others in the assembly so that others do the same when your turn comes.
- Give respect to the student leaders, who are performing their duties and follow their instructions. Your turn for the role of a leader may also come and you would want others to listen to you.
- After the assembly, students must silently move in a single line to the classrooms.
Test / Examinations / Projects
Over the years, the school has developed and improved the systems of conducting tests and examinations assessments and evaluation processes. The system varies for junior, middle and senior level students.
Excuse from Physical Education
If a student is unable to participate in the weekly PT or swimming because of illness, a note from the parent to the Physical Education Teacher should be given in the diary explaining the illness and she/he will be excused. In the event of prolonged illness, a student must produce a medical certificate and seek exemption from PT.
Research has shown that when homework is regularly assigned and marked, students show higher levels of academic success. Homework contributes significantly to academic growth and achievement.
- At the beginning of each school year students are informed about homework expectations for all subjects and their responsibilities for meeting these expectations.
- Homework shall be assigned as often as it is applicable or as an enhancement of the daily preparation for a completion of learning of concepts.
- A record of instances where students report to school with assigned homework not completed will be maintained by the teachers and recorded in the diary.
- Parents of students who routinely do not complete home assignments will be informed to enable them to take corrective actions and the expectation of the school reiterated. Their co- operation is sought to ensure that all assigned homework is completed to the best of the student's abilities.
- Teachers have the right to detain students after school and for a reasonable period during the lunch break in order to complete unfinished homework assignments.
In Case of Misconduct and Misbehaviour
Please remember that discipline, rules and regulations should be followed as a habit, without supervision and enforcement. These have been framed considering the students' future.
We expect students to follow the various rules and regulations with minimal supervision. However, If a student violates acceptable standards of behaviour she / he may be subjected to disciplinary action, which may include termination from the school. The students should avoid situations which would force the school to resort to such severe measures.
Tips for Parents
- Show interest and concern for your child's efforts and applaud his or her achievements.
- Provide a quiet, regular working area without distractions at home for regular study.
- Help your child organize homework / study time.
- Involve yourself as the "audience" for ready practice of spelling, mathematics problems, reading etc.
Caution: Too much help may make your child overly dependent on you and slow down the development of independent work habits.